“Please note that this post contains affiliate links and any purchase made through such links will award me a small commission (at absolutely no extra cost for you). These funds help me keep this blog up and running. Learn more about it here.”
There are so many different versions of Applepie Recipe out there, that I totally get why it may be overwhelming when you try and find the Worlds Best Apple Pie. Making apple pie is not hard, but ensuring you use the right apples for apple pie is key!
My mom’s recipe is a family favourite. It’s not a traditional applepie recipe, in fact, it’s probably far from it. It’s more of a sponge cake filled with soft cooked apples drizzled with a warm sticky cream sauce. Regardless, this ‘Appeltert‘ as we used to call it, is super sweet and goes down well with a dollop of vanilla ice-cream.
What are the Best apples for apple pie?
The key to making a good homemade apple pie is to use the right apples. There are two things to consider, texture and taste.
For the best apple pie filling, you want to ensure that you use apples that don’t turn into mush. It needs to cook but still be firm enough when you bite into it. For flavor, you want to consider using a combination of tart and sweet varieties.
According to The Spruce Eats the following apples are widely regarded as being some of the very best to use in apple pies:
Tart Pie Apples
- Granny Smith
- Northern Spy
Sweet Pie Apples
- Crispin (Mutsu)
- Golden Delicious
- Red Rome
Sweet/Tart Pie Apples
- Cox’s Orange Pippin
- Honey Crisp
- Pink Lady
- Yellow Transparent
How to Pick the Best Apples for an Appletart
It’s always best to use apples that are in season. Out-of-season apples have been kept in storage, which affects their freshness, crispness, and juiciness. Not only that, but you’ll also end up paying quite a bit more for them. Other factors to consider:
- Check the firmness of the apple: Stay clear of apples that are noticeably soft, mushy, or indent easily after you press the skin.
- Visually examine the apple: Selec apples with no bruises or bug holes. Unripe apples will be too green or yellow for their variety.
- Smell the apple: Yes, as weird as it sounds, but give it a sniff. A fresh, ripe apple will have a pleasant aroma.
Apple Pie Ingredients List
To make this delicious homemade apple pie combine the dry ingredients with milk and melted butter and add the whisked eggs. Pour this mixture over the sliced apples into a prepared dish.
Bake in the oven for 40 minutes at 200 degrees Celcius.
5 minutes before the baking time is completed, prepare the cream sauce by boiling together a cup of sugar and 250ml of evaporated milk.
Once the Apple tart has cooked, prick it with a fork and slowly drizzle the boiled cream mixture over it while it is absorbed into the baked sponge. Serve with a dollop of vanilla ice-cream.
More things to make with Apples
- Cabbage and Apple Salad with a Creamy Dressing
- Fresh Muesli with Apples, Currants, and Toasted Almonds
- Sausage and Apple Pie
Until next time!
Homemade Applepie Recipe
- 250 ml Flour
- 15 ml Baking Powder
- 250 ml Sugar
- 3 ml Salt
- 125 ml Milk
- 30 ml Butter Melted
- 2 Eggs Whisked
- 6-8 Apples Mix of sweet and tart peeled and sliced
- 250 ml Sugar
- 250 ml Evaporated Milk Can use fresh cream instead
- Pre-heat the oven to 200° Celcius.
- Prepare a a square or round baking dish.
- Combined the dry ingredients with the milk and melted butter. Add the whisked eggs and mix until incorporated.
- Line the dish with the sliced apples and pour the batter over the apples.
- Bake in the oven for 35 minutes until cooked.
- 5 Minutes before the sponge is completed start with the cream sauce.
- Boil together the sugar and evaporated milk/cream until the sugar is completed dissolved.
- Prick the sponge with a fork and slowly drizzle it with the cream sauce while it absorbs into the warm cake.