“Please note that this post contains affiliate links and any purchase made through such links will award me a small commission (at absolutely no extra cost for you). These funds help me keep this blog up and running. Learn more about it here.”
I’ve been longing to make something with the vast amount of oranges we have at home. The smell of fresh oranges reminds me of wintertime at school.
Copious amounts of hockey and netball matches with refreshing orange wedges at half time breaks. Chocolate and orange is also a wonderful combination. This recipe from Kat shows you exactly how to combine these two ingredients for a divine chocolate twist.
This loaf cake is moist and flavourful and approved by both my boys. So that in itself is a winner. The addition of nutmeg and pecan nuts complement the orange well, and the smell when it bakes is to die for. It’s important to stick to the “low and slow” baking of this cake, otherwise, it will cook on the outside before it does on the inside. For other loaf cakes visit our baking page.
How to make the Orange and Vanilla Yogurt Loaf with Pecan Nuts
To make the loaf cake, sift the flour, baking powder, salt, and nutmeg together. In a large bowl, whisk the sugar and yogurt until well combined. If you don’t have vanilla yogurt you can use greek yogurt. Next, add the eggs, orange zest, orange juice, and vanilla extract and whisk well. Slowly add the dry ingredients while continuing to whisk.
Finally fold the oil into the batter until it is fully incorporated.
Pour the loaf mix into the greased loaf pan, and bake for 50 minutes on 160 degrees Celsius when fan assisted or 180 without the fan. Once the time is up, insert a toothpick into the center. If it is cooked the toothpick will come out clean.
Cool in the pan for 15 minutes and thereafter remove and place the loaf onto a cooling rack to cool completely.
Drizzle with the orange glaze. Whisk together icing sugar (powdered sugar), orange juice, orange zest, and some butter. Top off with roughly chopped roasted pecan nuts.
Until next time!
Orange and Vanilla Yogurt Loaf Cake with Pecan Nuts
- Electric Mixer
Loaf Cake Ingredients
- 2 Oranges (Zest and Juice of)
- 3 Eggs
- 1½ Cups Flour
- 2 tsp Baking Powder
- ¾ Cups Sugar
- ½ tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Vanilla Essence
- 1 tsp Nutmeg
- ½ Cup Oil (Can use coconut oil)
- 1 Cup Vanilla Yogurt (Can use greek yogurt)
- 1 Orange (Zest and Juice of)
- 1½ Cups Icing Sugar (Powdered Sugar)
- ½ Cup Pecan Nuts (Toasted and roughly chopped)
Prepare and Bake the Orange Loaf Cake
- Preheat the oven to 160° fan assisted or 180° without. Grease the loaf pan.
- Sift together the flour, baking powder, salt and nutmeg.
- In a large bowl, whisk the yogurt and sugar together until well combined. You can either use a hand whisk or electric mixer.
- Add the eggs, orange zest, orange juice and vanilla essence. Whisk for 1 minute.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and whisk for another minute or until it is well combined.
- Fold the oil into the batter until fully incorporated and then pour into the greased loaf pan.
- Bake for 50 minutes or until cooked. Check using a toothpick inserted into the center. If it comes out clean it is cooked through.
- Cool in the pan for 15 minutes then remove and put on a cooling rack to cool down completely.
- In a large measuring cup combine the sugar, orange juice and orange zest. Whisk until there are no more lumps.
- Add in the water and whisk more. If you find that you cannot pour it, heat it up in the microwave for about 20 seconds and try again.
Finish it off
- Drizzle the cooled down loaf with the orange glaze and finish off by topping it with roughly chopped pecan nuts.